Tips, Tricks, Links & News
With this compilation some internal improvements have been made and small bugs have been fixed. In addition, the user guidance has been simplified especially with regard to the automatic creation of chord sequences (see main menu -> Chordprogression) and the small red play window has been supplemented by a popup menu which can be opened with the right mouse button.
- 05/28/2019: Update RMCA Pro and Jam partner with "XDigits download manager":
Meanwhile the XDigits Download Manager has been released. With this program registered users of RMCA Pro or Jam partner can easily update older program versions. Download the manager (a single executable file of only 333 KB) and save it in any directory on your hard drive or on a USB stick. Start it, select the program you want to update and select or search for the program's root directory (default: C:\RMCA). Now you should be able to activate the 3rd button named "Update & reset selected program". If you press it and all update requirements are met, the manager downloads the current version of RMCA Pro or Jam partner and then starts the respective program with its original values. Program settings changed by yourself and your personal registration data are retained!
- 04/25/2019: RMCA Pro and Jam partner have been updated:
With this release an auto-update- and info-function was installed, which checks after the program start if there is a new program version and downloads and installs it from the running program with only a few mouse clicks. In addition, improvements have been made to the style-playlist-window and some bugs have been fixed.
- 02/04/2019: New versions of RMCA Pro and Jam partner have been uploaded:
This update includes significant internal improvements to the conversion and processing of styles for YAMAHA® keyboards. The Style Converter has added features for randomly selecting style variations sets and randomly selecting style parts. In addition, RMCA Pro (not Jam partner) now allows the import of a PSR Style Database CSV file. You can find out more here.
- 01/20/2019: The new Jam Partner program and a revised version of RMCA Pro were published today !
Jam partner was developed from RMCA Pro and also contains it's chord progressions random generator. Depending on various options it randomly chooses matching chords from specific chord groups or it mixes about 100 common chord progressions and generates via one mouse-click complete songs from any number of measures with variations and fills. This makes it an ideal jamming tool and helps to practice e.g. GUITAR or BASS in each key with a backing band and countless backing tracks.
In this sense Jam partner is especially designed for users who are mainly interested in well structured background music and don't want to create their own styles or import MIDI files and derive chord sequences from them. Because of further differences of the programs RMCA Pro and Jam partner you may refer to the Features page and try its demo.
RMCA Pro has also been revised. The new program version contains many internal improvements and some bug fixes. Also additional chord sequences and extended options to select and mix chord sequences in the Song creator window. A function has also been added that lists all contained sequences in the Text editor window and saves them as csv files if desired. All these functions and options are already included in Jam partner. To upgrade their RMCA Pro version, registered users would need their registration instructions.
- 08/23/2018: Today version 5 of RMCA Pro 4.2.8 has been released:
It comes with almost 50 new chord progressions, including 25 blues sequences for 8/16 and 12 bars. It also contains many internal improvements and an extended range of options for automatic song generation. As a gadget for less experienced keyboard players the keyboard adjustment function (main menu -> Melody - Key adjustment) has been improved considerably. A list of all chord sequences implemented in RMCA Pro can now be downloaded here as a pdf file.
To upgrade their RMCA Pro version, registered users would need their registration instructions.
- 08/05/2018: A new version of RMCA Pro 4.2.8 has been uploaded:
This new version contains additional MIDI functions for controlling external programs (e.g. a DAW) and essential changes in the area of song generation as well as additional buttons for calling up the song list and the midi functions. Some internal bugs have also been fixed.
- 02/25/2018: A new compilation of RMCA Pro 4.2.8 has been released:
This upload fixes some minor bugs, comes with internal improvements and offers enhanced MIDI functionality.
- 01/14/2018: A new version of RMCA Pro 4.2.8 is available for download:
This version fixes some minor bugs and comes with a lot of internal improvements. In addition, some new features and functions have been integrated, for example:
- Key adjustment: This function allows to improvise chord progressions always with C-maj. / C-min. keys. At this next chords are previewed in yellow as chords of C-maj. / C-min. in the keyboard window. ("Melody / Key adjustment")
- MIDI commands: Via the "MIDI in port" ("Windows / MIDI settings") you can now send MIDI note-on commands to the program. The notes 0 - 11 control the functions defined and stored under No. "FX" in the instrument window ("Windows / Instruments"). The notes 12 - 21 directly trigger the MIDI commands defined in the MIDI Commands window ("Windows / MIDI Commands"). In this way, RMCA Pro can be almost completely remote controlled with the help of an external MIDI pedal, for example.
- MIDI Controls: A new window for displaying the status of activated MIDI on/off commands has been created. ("Windows / MIDI Controls")
- Style Presets: The "Ctrl + 0 - 9" keyboard commands can be used to save 10 styles as presets and activate or load them at any time using the "0 - 9" keys.
To upgrade their RMCA Pro version, registered users would need their registration instructions.
- 12/11/2017: A new version of MAAS 2.2 has been uploaded:
This version includes in particular a 3/4 bar chord preview. In addition a triad chord mode, some enhancements, some minor bug fixes and a few improvements were made. Registered users can upgrade simply by using their registration instructions and in the future they may easily check online for new program versions (main menu / Help / Check for an update).
- 10/07/2017: A new compilation of RMCA Pro 4.2.8 has been released:
This upload fixes some minor bugs.
- 09/03/2017: RMCA Pro version 4.2.8 is available for download:
This version includes many internal improvements. In addition, some new features have been integrated, for example:
- An extended Songlist window with the option of automatically generating up to 50 songs with the current settings of the Song Creator and saving them in the Songs directory ("Windows / Songlist").
- A session mode to determine how often songs are to be repeated. Then they will be played one after the other ("Options / Session mode").
- A new window for defining MIDI commands sent via a separate MIDI out-port and controlled by the numeric keypad ("Windows / MIDI Commands"). Very useful, if you have connected RMCA Pro with a DAW.
- An advanced editor sub-menu with functions to automatically equip a song with program change commands or other MIDI commands ("Windows / Editor" -> "Set Chord & Style").
- 05/04/2017: A new compilation of RMCA Pro 4.2.7 has been released:
This version offers a new function for creating songs, called "Use mixed common chord progressions". This function can be started in the "Songs" tab or via clicking on the label "Click here to generate randomly mixed common chord progressions" in the "Chord view" window. Try it and have fun!
- 04/11/2017: A new version of RMCA Pro 4.2.7 has been uploaded:
This compilation comes with more variations and improvements in random song creation and more of the most common chord progressions and additional functions for the style playlist manager.
- 01/29/2017: A new version of RMCA Pro 4.2.7 has been released:
RMCA Pro version 22.214.171.124 offers "re-channelizing" for GM instrument groups (guitars, basses, pianos, organs ...) and for all MIDI channels. This is a "must have" for any serious RMCA Pro user and very useful, if you want to connect RMCA Pro with a DAW or with an external MIDI module. Simply select from RMCA Pro's main menu: "Windows / MIDI Channels".
Registered users should update their version by selecting "Help / Check for an update" from RMCA Pro's main menu.
- 01/06/2017: Video clips and more ...
A new compilation of RMCA Pro was uploaded. In addition, 5 video clips were released to help interested newcomers and active users to better understand the main features of the software.
The video clips cover the following topics:
- What happens at the first program start ?
- How to create a backing track for practicing or jamming ?
- How to enter the practice mode with chord preview and let RMCA Pro create tasteful jam tracks ?
- How to record a chord sequence by using the virtual MIDI keyboard and save it as an arrangement ?
- How to create a "quick style" from a small MIDI snippet and test it with the virtual keyboard ?
- 11/23/2016: A new version of RMCA Pro 4.2.7 has been uploaded:
Many improvements and some minor bug fixes were made. The chordprogressions generator was enhanced and offers now among other things a new function that builds backing tracks in each key from some of the most common chord progressions (select from RMCA Pro's main menu: File/Create song ... )
|50's Progression||Pachelbel's Canon||Progression|
|Circle progression 2|
|Circle Progression||Ragtime Progression||Progression|
|V-IV-I Turnaround||Progression I-V||Progression|
|Backdoor pogr.||"Hotel C."|
- 10/08/2016: RMCA Pro version 4.2.7 has been released:
This version comes with new functions, some enhancements, many improvements and a few minor bugfixes. It offers colored panels (View/Panel colors ...), a practice button with submenu, a reset function (Help/Reset RMCA Pro), an option for moving bass tracks to MIDI channel 11 (Options/Style, Intro & Ending/Bass on channel 11, very useful when mixing). Furthermore this version offers an extended batch processor (Creator/Step by Step/4. Batch processor) for converting and checking styles, as well as adding styles to a style playlist. The style playlist manager (Windows/Style-Playlist) now has additional menu functions and an enhanced search mode. Registered users should select "Help/Check for an update" from RMCA Pro's main menu or use their registration instructions.
- 09/11/2016: A new version of RMCA Pro 4.2.6 has been uploaded:
The current version of RMCA Pro offers practice modes especially for guitar players and bass players, by using muting options, the chord preview mode and the random autoplay function with its chord progressions random generator. Simply select from the main menu: Help / Practice modes ... and make your choice. In addition a triad chord mode, some enhancements, some minor bug fixes and a few improvements were made.
With this upload registered users can easily check online for new program versions (main menu / Help / Check for an update).
- 06/04/2016: A new version of RMCA Pro 4.2.6 has been uploaded:
Various improvements, especially with a view to the chord progressions function and the newly included chord progressions random generator; depending on various options it randomly chooses matching chords; a new window displays the chords and (when they were generated randomly) the keys in large letters. So, using the chordpreview option, it makes a lot of fun to jam with RMCA Pro and to practice rhythm and soloing with a GUITAR, a BASS or another instrument in each key - a very special karaoke experience! And for practicing BASS, the bass-tracks of each style can be muted via one mouse-click. Or use the keys "QWERTY ..." and "ZXCVB ..." of your computer keyboard for soloing and have fun!
- 05/04/2016: A new version of RMCA Pro has been uploaded:
Many enhancements and additional features; built-in music theory (circle of fifths, modes); direct import / direct playback of most of the free downloadable ten thousand styles for YAMAHA® arranger keyboards; Registered users can upgrade simply by using their registration instructions.
Tips, Tricks and Links
Some useful keyboard shortcuts for working with chord progressions:
- F12: Create a completely new random song
- F11: Create a new song, using the entries of the Song-Creator window
- F10: Stop playing the current song
- F9 : Save automatically the current song under a special name
- F8 : Add the current style to the "...\RMCA\LISTS\StyleFavorites.sea" list
- Shift + cursor right: Create a completely new random song
- Shift + cursor left : Create a new song, using the entries of the Song-Creator window
- F10: Start playing the current song
Jam partner and RMCA Pro import and process style files for YAMAHA® arranger keyboards with the following extensions:*.sty; *.prs; *.bcs; *.sst; *.pcs; *.pst; *.fps; *.scp. Tens of thousands of those style files are available on internet for free download. However, since these styles are made for many different keyboards with many different specifications and voices, it is recommended to convert them first with Michael P. Bedesem's fantastic MIDIPlayer into General MIDI format. To do this ...
- Simply select in the player's setup section GM Sound Card as instrument and GM as voice, if you want to use YAMAHA® styles with your PC.
- Add (lots of) style files and let them be converted automatically in batch mode in no time.
- Within RMCA Pro or Jam partner, once you have loaded a style, you can combine its main parts, fills, intros and endings as you wish.
- However, if you want to get out the whole potential of your work within RMCA Pro or Jam partner you must save your variations-sets as rcs-styles. Please note: Created styles can either be saved as *.rcs files (RMCA Pro's own style format) or as *.mid files (MIDI files - not with Jam partner), NOT as e.g. *.psr or *.sty files (YAMAHA®'s style formats).
- To convert an entire *. sty styles directory to the *.rcs format with up to 6 different *.rcs styles of each *.sty style, you can use RMCA Pro's batch processor. It can be found in the main menu under "Windows / Style-Creator -> Step by Step / 4. Batch processor". Specify an output directory and pay attention to your further entries. It is recommended to make a backup first.
How to create a styles playlist for RMCA Pro (not for Jam partner) of styles for YAMAHA® arranger keyboards:
Do you like styles for YAMAHA® arranger keyboards and have you already created or downloaded from the Internet an impressive collection of such styles? Then you should definitely use the fantastic "PSR Style Database" program by Peter Wierzba to organize all these styles, find duplicates and much more. Using the function "File -> Export Style Data to CSV File" included in this program, you can especially create a text file of all styles, which can be directly imported by RMCA Pro, if it only contains the following columns - to be selected in the PSR Style Database program:
- Style Typ (Genre)
- Time Sig.
To import the created file as playlist into RMCA Pro, open the Style-Playlist window and select the function "Playlists -> Import playlist". Then save the converted file under a new name. That's all. Now the known search functions are available in the Styles-Playlist window as usual.
- Download "VirtualMIDISynth" from CoolSoft (or look up the name in a search engine)
- Download one of the free sound fonts, suggested on their page (tip: Arachno SoundFont !). In addition: Milton Paredes recently made a free YAMAHA® Tyros 4 GM soundfont, named "just t4.sf2", which sounds pretty cool; with extremely powerful and heavy drums. Search for it on the Internet! Also highly recommended is the commercial GM/GS SF2 library "AMAZING & REAL SOUND FONTS" by Alejandro D'sther, which reproduces MIDI music and styles in exceptionally good quality.
- Install "VirtualMIDIsynth" and configure it as follows:
- make it the default MIDI device
- add the soundfont you just downloaded to it
- In the advanced options tab reduce the additional output buffer. Try to reduce it near to zero!
- Run RMCA Pro, Jam partner or MAAS, select "VirtualMIDISynth" as MIDI-output and enjoy playing nearly lag-free!
Please note: If you use sound fonts (SF2 files), RMCA Pro/Jam partner needs a so-called RCI file (instrument list file) for correct instrument selection. Even with the DEMO versions, RCI files for a number of the most popular freeware soundfonts were installed in the program directory (\RMCA). Each SF2 soundfont needs a RCI file belonging to it. These files contain the following entry in the last line: " 6 Bank-Type: GM-3". If you do not hear any program changes, please change the number from 6 to 3 in the entry using a text editor or the Instrument List Editor. You can also try the numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 or 8. But don't forget to leave the space before the number! Select the appropriate RCI file in the "Global settings" window of the program.
The current collection of RCI files can also be downloaded here as a zip file. All RCI-files have to be extracted into the program directory of RMCA Pro/Jam partner (...\RMCA).
- Install LoopMIDI, a virtual loopback MIDI cable for Windows® XP up to Windows® 10, 32 and 64 bit, from http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html (or look up the name in a search engine)
- Configure 2 virtual MIDI-ports (e.g. loopMidiPort 1 and LoopMidiPort 2)
- Run RMCA Pro, Jam partner or MAAS and select "loopMidiPort 2" as MIDI-output
- Connect your MIDI-keyboard or your MIDI-controller with RMCA Pro, Jam partner or MAAS via MIDI-input
- Run your DAW and select within one or more track(s) "loopMidiPort 2" as MIDI-Input.
- Now you need an instrument/software MIDI synthesizer, which converts the transmitted MIDI commands and generates the sound. Recommended is BassMidi Vsti by Zoltán Bacskó (Falcosoft) in combination with a good sound font (see above).
How to get more information about MIDI, styles and MIDI-software:
- Musicians should enter Harmony Central® and ...
- The PSR Tutorial is for owners of YAMAHA® arranger keyboards. You will find useful information in the hundreds of pages and tens of thousands of styles available for download.
- Synth Zone is an attempt to ease the search for synthesizer & electronic music production resources.
- Pay a visit to MIDIWORLD.COM